Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Itching for a 50.....

I feel like a very proud momma these days.... well, wife.

My hubby IS A RUNNER!!!!

He started running a mile here and there last May. Slowly over the summer and into the fall I was able to get him to run a couple 5 milers. He hated it. Most runs were terrible for him, and he learned he needed to use an inhaler before a run, other wise he couldn't breath. He began running more this winter (on the treadmill) and decided he was ready to try a half marathon... what the heck, he hasn't even run a 5k. Anyways, we found him a very beginners training plan, and he started following the schedule. I decided I didn't want to.. train him, so to speak, because I didn't think mixing husband/wife with our recreational learning would be the best idea. I have still given him plenty of advice and he has been able to chat with a few of his friends who run.

He broke his right leg pretty badly when he was 16. His family didn't have insurance so it wasn't fixed properly. He still has problems with that leg, especially the more he runs. He has constant pain while running, and he can't seem to stretch enough or massage it enough. He has powered through and now his first half marathon is in 2 1/2 weeks. I will run his half with him then continue on and finish with the full 26.2. If all goes well, he is planning on running his second half on April 16Th in Salt Lake City, the day I run the full with my sisters.

On Saturday I ran my 22 miler and then Greg needed to run his long run of 13 miles on Sunday. I was able to work it out and was able to run his 13 with him, which made my total in 2 days 35 miles. Greg asked me at the end of his 13... "Does this make me a runner now?" teehee. I was tired and sore, but extremely happy about my distance. I have to admit, I am now itching to run a 50 mile Ultra, sometime.. hopefully sooner then later. I just need to pick one and my sister said she would even run with me. Wahoo!

7 comments:

Aron said...

Those 2 numbers have crossed my mind multiple times lately too :)

so fun that your husband is running now!

Coy Martinez said...

You guys are gonna have a great time!! I just smile reading about it!

Marlene said...

Sooo awesome to have hubby running now too! It's such a great activity to share. Good luck on his half!!

RunToTheFinish said...

that is soooo awesome!!! david has gone through spurts and I just love it when he asks to run with me

Cheetah Girl said...

lucky you, that's awesome! my boy plays tennis and bikes, but no running. hopefully i'll rub off on him soon :)

definitely do a 50!!! how cool would that be?!

Rose @ Eat, Drink, and Be Meiri said...

I wish I could get my husband into running. He claims his military time killed any joy of running he might have had, and just cheers me on (usually later in the day, since he sleeps in) during races.

Unknown said...

That is so sweet! It is great to have something that you are both interested in to do together!