Monday, October 19, 2009

Louisville marathon race report

This is the Louisville Water Tower. The race started and finished here.
Just a few feet from the finish line.
A few feet closer to the finish line.
Yucky me.... the medal we received was so not worth showing... cheap little medals for cheap little races.
I can't help but think of how stinky I was, every time I look at this pic. :)
We ate out on Saturday at P.F. Changs and my fortune said "The beginning is always the hardest" I would have to say, this was definitely the case in the race for me. Not hard as in hilly, but we were sent to run on an ever so small bike path. Just feet after the race started, I knew I needed to stop and pee. The port-a-john was right there and empty, so I stopped for a quick pee. Happy I did, I had to go bad. So once I came out and joined the crowd, and then hit the bike path, it was so frustrating. The path was so skinny, and the pack was not moving as quickly as I wanted to be moving. I ran on frosted grass a lot, and even twisted my ankle once. UGH... At mile 1.5 it opened up to the road. Pheww*
I was just running to run, I was feeling good. Came to mile 6ish and had a water stop. I walked through and took my first Roctane. Mile 8 it thinned out and the halfers turned around. It felt good to be a part of the few to continue forward along the boardwalk/path aside the river. It was so nice to have it thin out and quiet down. I love that feeling. The course soon turned into a covered bike/walking path. The trees were gorgeous, it was a little muddy at spots and we had to jump a puddle or two. I took another Roctane at mile 13. We looped around a neighborhood and a park, and back to the 13/16 mile marker. I was feeling great. Passing other runners left and right. I was beginning to think I should maybe slow down, to be sure I had some left for the end. I didn't slow down. :) I took another Roctane at mile 17.5, and continued to feel awesome. By mile 20ish, I was wondering if I would be able to keep up my pace. I did. I never really looked at my Garmin for my pace, I just knew I was feeling great and knew my pace was.. a good one. Took my last Roctane at mile 22 and by this point, I was wondering if a BQ was in sight. It was, I just didn't pick it up enough until mile 24, where I called the hubs to let him know I had 2 miles left. I was feeling so good, and couldn't believe at mile 25 my pace was faster then it had been all day. I was pushing so hard the last mile, thinking, just maybe I could BQ. I came in at 3:42:16.... close, but not enough. I am very happy with my time. I went into this race just hoping to come in UNDER 4 hrs. Coming so close to a BQ was a bonus. I have qualified twice in the past and actually ran Boston in '08. I now have a new goal for the next marathon.... I am hoping to run one more marathon before the end of the year. Any ideas which one it should be? I am thinking St Judes Memphis Marathon on Dec 5Th... we shall see.
Stats:
Chip time: 3:42:16
Gun time: 3:43:19
1st in my age group (30-34) {only 9 of us}
76Th overall out of 312
I haven't plugged in my Garmin to see my mile break down. Maybe I will do this later today.




28 comments:

Kandice said...

Good job! I am very proud of you!!!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Look at your CUTE CUTE hair!! I am a braid girl myself..

AWESOME!! Bummer about the path...I bet your would have had it without people slowing you down.

There is a Rock N Roll race in Vegas in December...LOL!!

CONGRATS!! Good work stopping to "Go" I need to remember to do that..

Hugs to well below 4 hours..

No Longer Using said...

you look SO GOOD at the finish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i want to feel much better in the final few miles of my next marathon whenever that is. CONGRATS!!!!!!!! 1st in your AG!!!!! that is awesome. also a benefit of smaller races, so worth it to do them!!!!! your time to shine:)

Diana said...

Sweet race Janice! Love the pics! After getting my HM done a few weeks ago, I really would like to have that "feeling" of finishing a full 26.2! UGH, self-competition is so hard!!!
Oh well, now with the 13.1 tattoo on the left wrist, that only leaves the right wrist for the 26.2!!! Good to plan these things out I feel, don't you???!!! hehehehehe!

Marlene said...

Great photos! You look so happy and energetic in that finishing photo.

Congrats on a STELLAR Marathon! Coming in almost 20 minutes faster than expected? Nice!

Stephanie Estridge said...

AHHH!! I was there!! I really did NOT enjoy the race at all (you can prob tell from my race report)... but it was my 15th of the year and I"m definitely starting to drag... maybe that had a little something to do with it??? hehe Good job on the A/G win and great time!!!!

Nielsen clique said...

What a great time! It sounds like a good marathon to do. Maybe I should come out next year. Love ya and miss you.

RunToTheFinish said...

oh I hate those little tiny paths, you feel like you are elbows to asses with everyone!

wow you've BQ'd numerous times...awesome. Way to go on what sounds like just a fun day!

Stacey said...

You are my hero! Glad it was such a great day for you! Las Vegas is December 6th....( :
Congrats again on a fast race!

Denise said...

I think you should seriously consider the Philly marathon...then you can pace me and we can get that BQ together.

Seriously, you did amazing. To have a goal of under 4 hours and to pull that off...I'm so happy for you!!

And it's really nice to know you did so great and stopped to pee and walked through the water stations. I'm so paranoid, I think I need to keep going...

Missy said...

Congrats, that rocks and it sounds like you had, ahem, fun!?!? Even better. That just doesn't always happen.

The Bensons said...

Yeah! Congrats! You did awesome!

Badgergirl said...

Love the pics! And congrats!

Palomita said...

So, so proud of you Jannie - you are totally amazing!

RunnerMom said...

Wow, amazing race! It's so nice when you have a great day and don't put any pressure on yourself.

I vote for St. Jude. :0) I know people who BQ'd there. Apparently it's a great course.

We are staying at the Memphis Marriott!

CJ said...

That's awesome! Love the pics and your braids. Congrats on an awesome race time and getting 1st AG!

CJ

Oz Runner said...

fantastic job on the race, way to win your age group! very impressive...too bad the medals were cheap...

Anonymous said...

You did awesome!! Great race report. The pictures are cute! Too bad teh medals were cheap:(

Mark said...

Wow! Sounds like it was the perfect marathon! Congratulations on a great time!!

kristen said...

Boy girl, you shure do make marathoning sound easy! Congratulations! Great race.

Becky said...

SMOKIN' hot time! Amazing, truly! I'm so impressed. Can't wait till I'm at sub-4 hours! Heck, can't wait till I'm sub-4 1/2! Someday I'll be like you! ;0)

<3 ya!

FLYERS26 said...

I had the same fortune cookie last week at our PF Changs. I keep it in my wallet, and I thought of it this past Sunday when I ran my marathon.
Great time! 3:40 is my goal for Philly. I can only hope to do as good as you did!

Katie said...

Wow! Awesome race!

Laura said...

You're a rockstar. If your course was a little different, you probably would've qualified without even knowing it. Congrats on winning your age group and a great time!!!!!! You're still my hero.;)

Unknown said...

Congrats on an awesome race, you'll definitely get another BQ. Nice job!

Sarah said...

Wow...you are fast! Congrats!!!!

Stuart said...

WOW you just took this one in your stride; nice job!

Chic Runner said...

WOW! that is seriously amazing and what a great report! :) You really did run far and strong. Nice job again!!!